DigiLocker is an initiative by Government of India. The paperless governance is the idea behind the DigiLocker. It also has an aim to make life simpler for citizens. As the name suggests, DigiLocker is a ‘digital locker’ for citizens to securely save copies of all their documents. It seems to be a great idea. The DigiLocker not only reduces the hassle of carrying paperwork all the time; but, also keeps away the constant stress of losing something. The government sees DigiLocker for a Paperless Governance & a Hassle Free Life.
What is DigiLocker?
DigiLocker, a cloud-based platform is Government of India’s initiative as a part of digital India. This platform is for issuance & verification of documents and certificates digitally. DigiLocker facility is only for Indian Citizens. It lets you store scanned or digital formats of your documents. You will get 1 GB of storage space on DigiLocker.
Benefits of DigiLocker:
DIgiLocker gives you many benefits, such as:
- Access your documents anytime, anywhere
- Share documents digitally for verification
- Self-attest the documents by e-signing them
- Minimize use of paper
Hence, the use of DigiLocker makes it a hassle-free; and a more environment-friendly way to do the things for citizens as well as Government.
How DigiLocker Works?
How can you Open a DigiLocker?
To avail the DigiLocker facility you
- should be Indian Citizen
- must have an Aadhaar number.
To activate the DigiLocker Account, it is mandate to link your DigiLocker account to your Aadhaar (UIDAI) number.
Safety Measure in DigiLocker?
- 256 Bit SSL Encryption: DigiLocker has a 256 bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption.
- Mobile Authentication based Sign Up: It uses OTP for authenticating users and allowing access to the platform.
- Aadhaar Authentication based Access: Citizens need to authenticate themselves using their Aadhaar’s Biometric or Mobile OTP authentication service. Then only, they will receive issued documents from registered issuers.
- ISO 27001 certified Data Centre: An ISO 27001 security certified data center is hosting the DigiLocker application.
- Data Redundancy: Data is backed up in secure environment with proper redundancy.
- Timed Log Out: DigiLocker application is designed in such a way that it will terminate session automatically if remains inactive for more than a specified time. This is to protect citizen’s account from unauthorized access.
- User Consent Based System: The data sharing from DigiLocker is done only with the citizen’s clear consent. All sharing and access activities are taken a note of to conveyed to the citizen. Organizations need to register on DigiLocker if they need access to citizens’ certificates. Before getting access, they need to seek clear consent from the citizen.