BHIM stands for Bharat Interface for Money. It’s an AADHAR based Mobile Payment Application. BHIM is a re-branded version of UPI (Unified Payment Interface) and USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data). Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi launched BHIM App at the Digi Dhan Mela event in Talkatora stadium, New Delhi on Dec.30, 2016.
You can download this app from Android app store. Click Here to install BHIM App. It appears like below:
The new app will play an important role to minimize the use of plastic cards and the point of sale machines. BHIM app would eliminate the charges for service providers like card companies such as Master Card or Visa. Hence, merchants would switch to digital payments. Also, digital mode of payment is now affordable to even merchants in remote villages. All that it needs is an Android phone with the merchant.
BHIM App is built for ease of use:
The BHIM app comes with a simple interface. On starting the app, it will ask you to give permission to send an SMS and register your phone number. Once registered, it will ask you to set a 4-digit passcode, and then choose your bank. That’s it. Yes, it is that Simple!!!
About BHIM App:
Unlike other UPI apps where you have a cluttered interface, BHIM is a no-frills UPI app. On the top, you have an option to Send money, Request money and Scan & Pay using QR Code. By default, your registered mobile is your UPI address. For instance, if your mobile number is 9900000099, your default UPI address will be 9900000099@upi. You also get an option to create your customized UPI address, which could be your nickname or full name.
If you have an account in more than one bank, you can easily switch between banks in just a few taps. On the home screen, you have ‘My Information’ section; where you need to choose your Bank Account.
It will open a new screen giving you details about your existing bank account. It also has option to change or reset PIN; and, request for account balance. On the top right corner, you have three dots to switch to a different bank account.
How does BHIM App work?
- On starting the app, it will ask you to give permission to send an SMS and register your phone number. Once registered, it will ask you to set a 4-digit passcode, and then choose your bank.
- Send or Receive Money: You can send money to or receive money from friends, family and customers through a mobile number or payment address. Money can also be sent to non-UPI supported banks using IFSC and MMID. You can also collect money by sending a request and reverse payments, if required.
- Check Balance: You can check your bank balance and transactions details as well.
- Custom Payment Address: You can create a custom payment address in addition to your phone number. That could be your name or nickname.
- QR Code: You can scan a QR code for faster entry of payment addresses. Merchants can easily print their QR Code for display.
Working Hours of BHIM App:
Coming Up Next:
Indian government has introduced AADHAR Payment App for merchants, which would allow you to pay using your AADHAR Number and Thumbprint or Fingerprint only. That means, without any Credit or Debit Card; even without internet and smart phones, you will be able to make transactions. However, to use such an amazing technology, we will have to wait for some more time.